Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Title: Coding Specialist I (Radiation Oncology)
Location: TN-Nashville-Vanderbilt Health One Hundred Oaks (OHO)
Job Number: 1215667
Note: This position is supporting the Radiation Oncology Department.
Seeking candidates with Radiaition Oncology Coding experience.
To assess the daily condition and treatment of inpatients, same day surgical patients and emergency room patients and assign the appropriate CPT Evaluation and Management codes, procedural codes, modifiers and the ICD-9-CM diagnosis codes for each patient encounter while maintaining optimal reimbursement within federal, state and private documentation guidelines.
Key Functions and Expected Performances:
* Maintains coding proficiencies
* Actively pursues 22 non-qualified continuing education credits designated by the VMG Coding Department.
* Actively pursues continuing education credits designated by the professional association; CCS, CCS-P, CCS-H, 10 biannually; CPC, CPC-H, 18 annually; RHIT, 20 biannually; RHIA, 30 biannually
* Reviews revisions to rules and regulations which govern coding
* Utilizes appropriate coding guidelines and references on a continuing basis
* Demonstrates the ability to read and comprehend medical record documentation
* Assigns ICD-9-CM and HCPCS/CPT-4 codes accurately - 95% or higher with a quarterly review.
* Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of ICD-9-CM and HCPCS/CPT; assigns ICD-9-CM and HCPCS/CPT-4 codes and modifiers at an accuracy rate of 95%.
* Demonstrates knowledge of medical terminology, human anatomy and physiology to interpret general medical classifications and adheres to Compliance Rules and Regulations
* Reviews physician and other clinical documentation to ensure that assigned codes are supported; recognizes when vital information is missing and works with the physician to obtain the documentation
* Meets productivity standards
* Maintains productivity standards set by the management team
* Organizes and prioritizes work appropriately
* Demonstrates flexibility by adjusting to unexpected situations/requirements
* Consults with manager regarding workload management, as necessary
* Uses new methodologies for improving efficiency
* Demonstrates knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, database and Internet skills
* Serves as a resource for coding issues
* Takes initiative in identifying/researching coding/reimbursement issues; notifies/involves appropriate parties, included designated manager
* Uses outside and inside resources to the extent necessary; seeks advice/approval when appropriate
* Encourages participation of others to solve problems when appropriate; develops effective solutions; involves management as needed
* Serves as an in-house consultant to physicians and house staff on all aspects of coding/reimbursement requirements
* Provides physician education regarding coding and documentation guidelines for federal, state and private reimbursement requirements
* Serves as a resource to other hospital staff members on coding and documentation guidelines
* Demonstrates effective written and verbal communication skills
* Responds courteously and promptly to all customers; strives to maintain the highest level of customer service; maintains a good attitude, considerate of co-workers and is a team player
* Maintains strict patient confidentiality
* Peforms general administrative support functions
* Maintains attendance and punctuality consistently; follows correct procedure for notification of absences and requests for leave
* Uses work time appropriately for work activities; attends meetings promptly
* Demonstrates a willingness and flexibility in scheduling and accepting work assignments to meet the needs of the department
Job requires Graduate of an accredited discipline specific program and 3 years of experience or the equivalent.
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
Records Health Info Admin, Records Health Info Tech, Certified Coding Specialist, Certified Procedural Coder
Job: Medical Coding and Billing